According to Forbes Magazine, the average consumer checks their email 15 times a day. But, as a marketer, it is easy to dismiss the efficacy of email and its ability to reach the right audience, with the right message, at the right time. The truth is that email is still one of the most beneficial means of communicating with today’s consumers. Utilizing email effectively can increase brand visibility, create measurable positive ROI, build brand loyalty, and reduce your overall marketing spend.
1. Increase Visibility
Technology has become integrated in every aspect of our lives. Whether it’s a cell phone, laptop, or tablet, for work or for school, technology has given us the ability to always stay connected. The opportunity to reach customers on any device throughout their day has given marketers more chances to communicate and increase brand visibility.
Let’s be real; that little red number at the corner of your email icon has a way of drawing you in. Even with the rise in popularity of other marketing platforms, email marketing is still one of the best tactics to engage with potential and existing customers. People prefer email over social media because they have control of when they receive your brands message and the types of messages they’re signing up for. Approximately 60% of consumers opt into promotional messages and discounts, compared to only 20% that choose to follow or buy via social media.
2. Create Measurable Positive ROI
Effective marketing shouldn’t simply be about broadcasting. It also should be measurable and generate positive ROI. Every industry is different, but it’s important to get into the habit of understanding your customer behavior by meticulously tracking and measuring campaign effectiveness. The key to any successful email campaign is to utilize data. By using a clean, deliverable, segmented list, you can tailor your message towards consumers and their shopping habits, thus giving your customer what they want, when they want it.
When tracking and testing email marketing campaigns, be sure to take a good luck at the following. These metrics can help you craft well-written, engaging emails that have a clear CTA, the golden ticket to increasing ROI.
- Send times
- Subject lines
- Open and click-through rates
- Purchase conversions
3. Build Brand Loyalty
2020 brings a new age of technology in an increasingly competitive market. Consumers expect an even more authentic, interactive web experience, and marketers are responsible for delivering that to them. Providing real-time communication with personalized and engaging content can turn one-time customers into lifelong loyal supporters.
One effective email is all it takes to make an impression, but to build brand credibility and strengthen customer relationships, you should follow these steps:
- Educate your customer about your products, your business, and relevant industry topics.
- Show consumer appreciation by providing special discounts and promotions unique to them and their habits.
- Build excitement through exclusive content and perks they’ll engage with.
Providing value keeps your audience engaged. Plus, email content is shareable; hitting the forward button takes less than a minute. Positive customer experiences increases the chance they will send others your way.
4. Spend Less & Increase Engagement
All marketing campaigns should be data-driven; this has become an industry established rule. Data waste is often the most overlooked cost when evaluating the success or failure of a direct marketing campaign. As data becomes more and more important to a campaign’s success, here are some tips to remember when selecting a data provider:
- Append your contact list. Instead of going for quantity, go for quality. Remove duplicates and non-deliverables. Segment based on consumer behaviors, etc. A smaller list allows for more customization and 1:1 messaging that is sure to resonate with your customer.
- Automate your campaign. Free up your time with an email automation program. You can increase engagement by delivering personalized, timely, and relevant messages that are automatically triggered by your customers’ behavior, without ever having to click send. Set it up, and let it roll.
- Tailor your marketing. Utilize personalized rewards, discounts, and CTAs that are relevant to the consumer during their specific place in the sales cycle.
- Regularly update your list. Keeping your list up to date with clean, deliverable data will reduce your overall costs. Most email deployment companies just charge by the record, regardless of its deliverability.
- Be honest. Capturing a customer with an outlandish message won’t build customer loyalty. When you build a relationship based on honesty and trust, that customer will stick around a little longer.
- Testing and reporting. Consistently review and analyze your reports. Doing different versions of CTAs, promotions, discounts, subject lines, and messaging will help you refine your email campaign, increasing engagement and ROI. Don’t just guess at what is working; review the data to make informed decisions.
It’s time for your business to embrace email marketing. By implementing an effective, optimized email marketing strategy, you’ll increase brand awareness, create positive ROI, and foster lasting relationships with your audience.